The History of St. George Island
Over 500 years ago, between the tenth and fifteenth centuries, after Europe experienced the Renaissance and before Columbus discovered the new world, the Creek Indians inhabited St. George Island.
During their time here the Creek experienced much of what you still see today. After European colonization started to expand, in 1803, the Creek Indians ceded a large tract of land in Northwest Florida to trader John Forbes which included St. George Island, known as the Forbes Grant.
The Island’s early history started to take shape around 1823 when John L. Williams sought refuge there. The area was so remote, food supplies were scares so, he and his party depended on what the land provided…and is still providing today…a seemingly unending supply of oysters and crabs. This cornucopia of food and sustenance caused a stream of trade activities particularly on the banks of the Apalachicola River. About a decade later in 1833, a central lighthouse was built specifically for use of the incoming trade ships. Although, the original lighthouse was destroyed, it has been rebuilt and is one of the indelible sights on the island.
During World War II, there were very few residents if any on the island and its size made it a perfect target range for midrange bombers from an airfield in neighboring Apalachicola.
In 1954, the US Government carved a channel across St. George Island called the Bob Sikes Cut to provide easier shipping access to the Gulf waters from the bay. “The Cut” not only created “Little St. George Island but, enhanced the remoteness of the larger St. George Island.
Today, the Islands strict building codes have created a tranquil beach community with no high rises or chain stores. St. George Island is home to glorious beach cottages, luxury beach homes or quaint beach accessible houses!